Monday, August 01, 2005

Over There

I wish to opine about the FX original series Over There. I did not see the series premiere, so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but I will. Since it is a Steven Bochco production, I am guessing it is done quite well. However, I have just one question...why make a movie or TV series about a war that is still going on?

In today's age of instant communication, I am perplexed by the notion of wanting to do a fictional program about something that is going on as we speak. It might be better for all Americans to see the real story of real military personnel who have been (or are at present) involved in the war in Iraq or in any element of the war on terror (WWIV?). To portray the conflict in a fictional series seems a bit short-sighted to me, if not downright lazy. I am no TV executive, but I am a consumer of TV and I would be very receptive to a real life documentary that followed the lives of US military personnel who are involved in the war. It may even be a great way to collect charitable donations for them and their loved ones. I would think that it must be possible and I just wonder why no one would think to do it. Could it be so that the message comes out the way the producers want it to? I think that happens with much of the broadcast news today.

Again, I have not watched the show, and I doubt I will. I have an acquaintance who is really there right now. He drives a tank. I am sure that his real life stories are better than anything that I can see on TV.

Be safe Mike Hendricks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend is an MP who served in Iraq for ten months. He likes the show and knows it's just entertainment. That's what TV is supposed to do, entertain you. If you want an exact historic overview of the Iraqi quagmire then I'm sure the History Channel will have something lined up. They have excellent documentaries.