Thursday, December 22, 2005

Why I Don't Care What Jennifer Aniston Says (Required Reading; Volume iv)

Two very good books (which might make great last minute Christmas gifts) are Do As I Say (Not As I Do), Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy by Peter Schweizer and 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America (And Al Franken is #37) by Bernard Goldberg. Both are very quick reads and are 'Required Reading' because the authors point out the hypocritical and disingenuous views, comments, and politics of the people they choose to profile. While Mr. Schweizer's book is a profile of only liberals, it is a very telling account of how these people apparently do not hold others to the same standards that they wish to have applied to themselves. Mr. Goldberg's book is full of liberals in his 100 examples, but he points out people of any political persuasion and takes them to task for what he feels they have done (and perhaps are still doing) that is detrimental to the United States. Hopefully both books at least make you think. Regardless of your political leanings, give them a chance. They may open your eyes to things you never knew or failed to consider...intellectual honesty being the key. And remember, the authors undoubtedly picked their subjects based on their own personal feelings, so realize that the people profiled may be a bit more reviled by the authors than they are by you.

So, what does all of this have to do with Jennifer Aniston? Well, Jennifer has become someone that I just shake my head at every time she tries to be...umm, smart. Since she has been getting an extraordinary amount of press of late, her quotes have popped up in various places where I might catch them. (Trust me, I don't go looking for quotes from Jen.) It appears to me that she somehow thinks that George Bush is to blame for everything. Now, mind you, it is not just Jennifer Aniston that I have a problem with; she just happens to exemplify the problem at present. Basically, however, I have trouble with most celebrities who rant and rave about this or that when they really don't seem to know much, if anything, about what they are talking about. Just hand them a script and away they go. Hey, let's face it, they get paid huge amounts of money to pretend they are someone they are not. It is their job! I can understand why many people might get sucked in by what they say. And I truthfully understand how the ill-informed could actually believe that they are "experts" on whatever it is they may be talking about. But, by and large they are not...and that really bothers me.

Still, I am more bothered by the celebs that perhaps do know something about their given cause and they truthfully believe that they know even more. So they take to the airwaves (because they can) and they go on and on and on about pretty much nothing. I tune them out, unless I am in need of a laugh. Then I might listen. But, again I worry about those that take the rantings of celebrities as gospel. The danger that celebs can create (because there are people out there who might believe them because they don't do their own research) is staggering to me.

All of that said, we get right back to what, to me, is the premise of the two books mentioned. That is the fact that there are those in this world who can and will keep pressing an issue simply for what they derive by doing so. Whether it is political power (the Democrats in Congress come to mind) or money or the advancement of an agenda or a cause. Not that there are never times when this is necessary and not that there aren't conservatives who can be just as bad, if not worse, in this regard. But the broader picture is that we live in a very complex world. It is a world where violence is the solution to most things for many people. Should we be complacent and appease people to avoid violence? No. We should be willing to fight back. Peace is fine, but it is rarely achieved without at least the threat of war. While I am conservative and obviously a hawk, I understand the longing for peace. I just realize that it does not come without a painful and dangerous pricetag. The liberals and the liberal media in the United States want to have their proverbial cake and eat it too. Now, that is not really a shock, but their way to get what they want has been through character assassination, partisan ranting, and egregious stretching of the truth, if not outright lying and covering up. That seems to be the very thing that they constantly accuse Republicans and conservatives of doing (does the phrase 'culture of corruption' ring any bells?).

My hope this Christmas season and for the coming New Year is that we can truly have a debate about the issues, our differences, and what is right and good for our society. I want those that have the platform to be intellectually honest about what they say. But most of all, I would like to see genuine debate with differing, constructive views presented in our political arena, be it in Congress and government, in the media, or by those celebrities who have the platform. And I want EVERYONE to remember that, like it or not, we are at war with an enemy that wants to destroy us and one that will NOT surrender. Yes, give war a chance, and hope that by doing so peace prevails.

And please, save any nasty comments for another post you don't like or agree with. It is the most joyous season of all. Let us embrace it together.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

the right wing zealot

No comments: